Thursday, September 03, 2009

Stray thoughts...

Thinking we need to update our header to reflect our shift from strictly reader reviews to reviews + personal commentary. Of course while we're at it, we could update our blog list too. That has to be out-of-date, LOL.

Or maybe not. Sometime over the last year, my own blog list--in my reader--grew big. It grew bigger and faster than my kid's feet. Mostly the result of all those blog awards out there, wherein the award recipient passes it on to his/her favorite blogs. I harvested plenty of new blogs to follow from those lists.

But with over a thousand unread posts in my reader--at any given time, I had pull out my snippers. I was ruthless and it is entirely possible that my newly trimmed blog list matches my old list in the right sidebar here. Returning to my roots so to speak.

What did I cut? Well, not to stir anybody's soup, I'll admit to cutting out all that industry stuff. I read blogs for fun. And for book recs. The industry posts weren't yielding new-to-me authors or titles, so...SNIP. As I'm still ebook reader-less, at least til Christmas (of this year I think), I had to SNIP all those technology-heavy blogs too. Useful, but just not to me. I also had to SNIP a ton of author blogs. Insightul stuff about the writing process and publishing game but, as I'm not a writer, it's just not applicable. Not a TV-watcher either, so yup, those more-TV-than-books blogs had to go too.

What else? Oh, some genre-driven stuff. Neither M/M nor Y/A make my own preferred genre list, so I unsubscribed from blogs that primarily feature either one. I do have a handful of titles, in both, on my TBR list, but am not yet in need of new release updates, etc. Ditto for much of the urban fantasy stuff. I've read and LOVED a couple of these authors but, the less reading time I have the more apt I am to reach for my tried-and-true--historicals, RS and crack-like paranormals.

Quick question, what is speculative fiction?

Oh, and since I had a wee small crush on my son's college-age sports camp counselor this summer...do you think Y/A may appeal to me more than I was thinking?

But then again, my reluctance to paint my toenails metallic blue reminds me again that, really, I'm too old for this stuff. Isn't blue a toenail color for the young? I think so. I'm convinced I'd feel ridiculous walking around with pretty blue toenails. At my age.

Where was I? Oh, and speaking of my tried-and-true, I'm reading an ARC right now. Gennita Low's Virtually Hers. It's no secret I'm a fan. It's no secret that I'd shamelessly plug her titles anywhere. And you may as well brace yourself, cuz I'll be doing exactly that as her Virtually Hers release date approaches--October 6, 2009 from Samhain Publishing. Feel free to pass it on and on and on.


Anyway, so I'm reading Virtually Hers. And losing myself in Jed and Elena. Totally captivated, caught between wanting to know right-this-instant what happens next and wanting the book to last and last and last. I'm even finding myself with that deer-in-the-headlights sensation--stunned into stillness everytime gray-eyed Jed takes the page. I'm grateful for that, cuz it's been awhile. Which leads me to...

Last month, I read Meredith Duran's Bound By Your Touch. Wow. Wow. Wow. Couldn't put it down. Immediately picked up Written On Your Skin. Couldn't wait to pick it up. But then my (good) life interupted and it took me nearly two weeks to read it. I know this particular hero was right up my alley. I know he was. But yet, I didn't get pulled under. I didn't get stunned, frozen to the page like Jed commands. So was it just not as strong as BBYT or VHers? Honestly? I am convinced that it is because I read WOYS bit by little bit, as time permitted. I'm certain it felt disjointed only because my reading time was disjointed--lots and lots of stops and starts. An absolute shame.

Seriously, I have GOT to find a different slot of time for reading. Right now, I'm getting some time in around 5 AM. So far so good--if you don't count the cat. She seems to think this is an ideal slot for just-us-girls time. Unless of course she can find other fun. Like today, rousting and chasing a mouse about the basement. Where I work out each morning. You know, like on the floor, doing sit-ups and such. Trust me. There's no amount of header tweaking that will allow for this kind of post here.

Just. Trust me.

13 comments:

  1. Sometimes you have to be ruthless with things. If your blog roll wasn't what you wanted it to be then it's A-OK to SNIP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)

    Funny, you've been on my blogroll for ages--and remain of course, LOL. But I didn't see you here in the right sidebar. Corrected that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your header already gives that feel. But maybe you just want something different?

    And follow whoev you wanna, sad to see lets gab take a break but totally understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that if you didn't have time to follow all those blogs, then cutting back was a good decision... and yes, you have to be ruthless when you cut down blogs, purge the books, etc.

    LOL, me, I have the opposite problem - I don't have enough blogs on my blog roll! LOL :) I have about 30 to 40 blogs I follow and it always takes me a long time to add new ones to my sidebar... I'm choosy, I need to be sure that the blogs fit me, that they are updated regularly, etc.

    So I think you did good :D

    and ewww about the mouse ^_^; She didn't eat it at least, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've actually become so overwhelmed by my google reader, that I'm no longer looking at it. I was getting stressed seeing it well over 1000 posts.

    About Spec Fiction, here's something from my place where I answered that a while back:

    Here’s what the Encyclopedia of Speculative Fiction says: “Speculative fiction is an umbrella term used to describe a group of fiction genres that speculate about worlds that are significantly unlike the real world. The genres typically included are science fiction, fantasy, horror fiction, supernatural fiction, alternate history, and magic realism. The term is used this way in academic and ideological criticism of these genres, as well as by some readers, writers, and editors of these genres.”

    I tend to use the term when it is “not realistic”-there’s some element of the fantastic, but doesn’t fit neatly into genres like “fantasy” (high or urban), “sci fi”, “paranormal” etc. Since it’s really a catch all term, any of these actually could be considered spec fiction. Books I would term “spec fiction” would include: Naomi Novik’s Temeraire series, Sarah Monette’s Doctrine of Labyrinths series, AJ Menden’s Phenomenal Girl 5, Michelle Sagara’s Cast/Chronicle of Elantra series (this one’s debatable, I guess), Maria Snyder’s Study series.
    Of course, when it comes to any of this, I guess it’s just a matter of opinion.


    LOL, I know what you mean about the blue nail polish. I like those kinds of colors in theory, but whenever I actually choose the polish I'm going to wear, I always wind up with the usual kind of colors. I think gold is about as out there as I've ever gone!

    I LOVED BBYT, but WOYS is still sitting on the tbr shelf. I had the same experience last week for my re-read challenge book, where I could tell reading it in 5-10 minute bursts just wasn't doing it for the story. Once I waited till I had time to really sink my teeth into it, my enjoyment increased considerably.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same reaction to Meredith Duran's BBYT and WOYS, rating them A+ and A- respectively.

    About the cat, the mouse and the basement. Shudder.

    I think our header name can stay the same. I Just Finished Reading can reflect our reviews of what we read plus we can talk about what's happening in our lives when we're not reading. So all we need to do is scratch the sub-title or change it to A Place for Reviews and Stray Thoughts. Or something like that. The pictures still pretty accurately reflect who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sybil - I can't imagine Lori has time to craft a new header, LOL. As she always ends up with the tech side of those updates, I think she would agree- NO time for that. You all know we're moving our personal commentary stuff here from Let's Gab anyway.

    And--at least for me--tightening my blogland back to what it was when it was more fun. Nath - Updated regularly? Uh, thanks for tolerating our long stretches of silence here. *g*

    Renee - Thanks for defining spec fiction for me. Get it now. Doesn't look like a term I'll be using much--since I'm going simple and less right now. Basics only. Maybe later though. Laughing about the blue polish...so same here.

    Linda - agree on the header, like it as is. You and Renee make me want to read WOYS again...when I have more uninterupted reading time. Had some of that last weekend and read a book in one day! Forgot how wonderful that was--and how much more engaged you are in the story. Oh yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, okay, you might not update regularly, but at least, I'm interested in whatever you're saying :D Which is not the case with all the blogs out there :D So still a winner for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm is she one of those types jen always looking for something to update and cause herself work...

    silly girl

    looking at it again, I still think the picture fits great and tell her to leave it be - more work than needed

    at most if she just wants to mess with it LOLOLOL like I honestly have any say you could add text to the bottom, but really really all that crap is over my head... Depending 'how' she made it it could be a PAIN to do and well ::shrug::. Of course you are talking to someone who left her blog the same for almost two years cuz the last update was so HARD.

    I am sure whatev you guys it will rock, cuz you do ;).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, thanks Nath. Ditto. And Sybil? Lori had nothing to do with my comment about our header, LOL. I can just see her reading all of these comments, going whuuuut? LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh good god

    jennifer b... uh well yeah looks just like lori doesn't it...

    ::head desk::

    I need sleep. Ignore me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. whuuuut?






    (looks like lori?) On top of whuuuut?, I'll add huuuuuh????

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails